Welcome to the Kasilof Regional Historical Association. We are located on Alaska's Kenai Peninsula. First inhabited by the Dena'ina Indians; Russian fur traders established Fort St.George at the mouth of the Kasilof River in 1786. With the American Civil War at a close, and the fur trade waning, Alaska was purchased from Russian and the Kasilof River was again established by salmon canneries; employing many seasonal immigrants. Still sparsely populated, the occational cannery employee would settle for the winter, surviving by his trap lines and seasonal summer work for the canneries. Slowly the hardy bachelor trapper gave way to the fox farmer, who settle the area along the Kasilof River and supplied furs for the latest women's fashions through the 1920s. The onset of the Great Depression brought a new and hardy group of people - the homesteader; building roads, proving up their land, and molding the community of Kasilof.
Visitors to the museum can take a walking tour through time; exploring turn of the century salmon canneries, old trapper cabins and the silver fox farms each restored by our volunteers.